Saturday, March 19, 2011

Craig is my Best Cyber Friend

I'm a fan of craigslist. I mean, a BIG fan. I could spend all day on there looking for furniture to redo or furniture that is in great condition. When Landon and I first got married, that's where we shopped to furnish our small 1 bed 1 bathroom apartment. We got our couch, dining room table with 6 chairs, and our small accent chair all on craigslist. They were all in great shape, and our small little apartment began to look more like home.

Now that we are about to move in to our first house, I started looking on some other furniture websites and furniture stores. I may be spoiled, but holy cow! Furniture at retail price is expensive! (compared to craigslist). So I went back to craigslist. I knew I wanted a new dining room table, one that looked more "grown up". After days of searching, I found one for $150. It was beautiful and worth well over $150. I sold my other dining room table (made a profit of $15) and was very pleased. Next, I needed some sort of love seat to fill up my larger living room. I wanted it to match my couch, but knew that in all reality, I might should just look for a whole new set. I didn't want a "hodge podge" of furniture. I ended up fining the exact love seat that goes with my couch (keep in mind I bought my couch almost 2 years ago)! Now, all I need are the cute pillows I found at Pier1.:) (I will probably end up spending more on the pillows to go on the couch and love seat than I did on the actual couch and love seat.

We have been very blessed to have found the things that we need (and will use for a long time) at such a great price!

Run Down of each room and the amount of money we have spent on furniture:
Living Room:
  • Couch: $100

  • Love Seat: $125
  • Red Accent Chair: $75

  • Coffee Table & Media Cabinet: Free (gifts)
Dining Room:
  • Table & 4 Chairs: $150
Master Bedroom & Guest Bedroom:
  • 2 beds: Free (gifts)
  • 2 tall dressers: Free (gifts)
  • 1 small dresser: Free (gift)
My next goal is to find night stands that I can redo. So to total up the furniture that is in my apartment right now, we have spent a total of $450. Now you can understand why it is hard for me to buy a couch at retail price for $700 when my whole apartment is furnished for less than that!

What are some great buys you have found on craigslist???


0 comments:

Post a Comment